For years, technological advances have changed the way we do things. The way we watch television and films is no exception. Smartphone and tablet users frequently use their devices to watch TV and movies. Streaming TV has also become more popular. With online streaming services and other online monthly rental services like Netflix and the recently launched Shome, more people are using other devices to watch their favorite shows or live events.
A recent US survey shows that instead of watching programs or news using cable, people prefer to watch the news or sports events using streaming services. Instead of waiting for the program to come on the television at a particular time, people prefer to stream or download their favorite shows YouTube is still free to access to watch videos and is the second largest search engine. It processes more than 3 billion searches a month and 100 hours of video are uploaded every minute.
Let’s look at the benefits to watching shows via the internet instead of Cable TV:
- Watch favorite TV shows anytime, as many times as you want.
- TV shows available in HD, and FULL HD, which a cable TV cannot provide.
- There is no need to pay for certain channels.
- You do not need to subscribe for high quality footage (HD).
In some areas, fees a user pays to watch TV programs via the internet are even cheaper than cable TV. At places like coffee shops and restaurants, Wi-Fi is free. This allows people to access the internet to watch their favorite shows without cost.
Although in the United States watching internet is preferred over cable TV, there are still many benefits cable TV:
- Internet can go down and streaming services can go down for maintenance. However, cable lines are grounded to protect them from any kind of damages. This means cable TV can provide undisturbed service to its users.
- Still, there are many areas where high-speed internet is required for streaming shows in HD. This is costly, so cable TV has been allowing people in these areas watch television in appreciable video quality.
- Older people who are not as familiar with the internet prefer watching cable TV compared to internet streaming services.
Will Cable TV Soon Be Obsolete? There are benefits to both internet and cable TV, so it is difficult to tell if cable TV will become obsolete any time soon. Cable TV is preferred in many parts of the world, but technological advances are destined to make cable TV obsolete.